Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hi all,

I currently work from 8am-2pm in Journal publishing, then I have my cake business almost 2 years ago. I am trying to get the cake business going to eventually do this full time. The cakes are starting to become really busy that I am battling to cope with the two, but not yet bringing in enough to quite my day job and sustain it.

I have a 2 and a half year old which I try to spend some time with in the afternoon, and bake the cakes with her then, so I tend to start decorating the cakes after she sleeps and end up working till 2-4am Wednesdays, Thursday and Fridays.

This is starting to affect my day job, so I tried several times to get someone to bake the cakes for me to relieve the stress and lack of sleep. All 4 times they have royally stuffed all the cakes up, and caused me soo much more stress, as I had to end up re doing everything, costing me so much money and instead of working till the early hours, I didn't get to sleep and even had to delay pick up of customers.

A friend who made wedding cakes years ago started to work for me. I gave her a very simple premix cupcake mix which just needed 4 eggs and 200ml water. She used up all 3 packets I gave her and she kept on using 2 cups instead of 200ml water. When I got there she told me my baking mix is rubbish. I had to go buy all the ingredients all over and bake them myself; I ended up giving the client a inferior product.

I am starting to feel that this was the last straw and Gods way of telling me that I should be doing something else. Depression is starting to set in and feel I will never get to quit my day job...

Views: 1224

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Wendy,

I do feel for you but if you love baking, then don't give it up. I bake, quilt, knit and sew and I always manage to fit it all in. I have found that decorating cakes get easier the more we do it. There was a time it would take me a whole day, even two sometimes to decorate just one cake. Now I finish it in a couple of hours.

I would wake up early and bake, go off and do other things then return to ice. Depending on how many cakes you need to bake, see how many you can fit into your oven at once to make things easier. I can fit 4 trays of cupcakes in my oven so I always aim for that with cupcakes and with regualar cakes, at most 3 depending in sizes.

It is a big no no in my books to have someone else bake my cakes. I have a certain standard I would not want anyone to destroy. Pace yourself. See if you can work part-time and bake part-time. The thing here is time management and I am sure with the help of God you are more than able to make it.

Time yourself and see what takes the most time and look for ways to reduce the time spent.

Hope this helps and hope to hear you will carry on baking. It is so much fun.

Regards,

Titi 

Well Wendy

In the end, only you what is best for you & your family.  Always trust your "gut feelings", it is usually right. I call it the voice of the Holy Spirit, others call it intuition, others a sixth sense, but whatever it you want to call it, you get that feeling that you just know that you know when the decision is right. 

Wendy Wegener said:

Hi Ladies, Thank you for your valuable advice and wisdom.

You really made me feel better and is always good know others are going through the same thing.

Unfortunately, for financial reasons, I do have to continue with my cake business. BUT I have deleted all my adverts and promotions and have decided to scale down by only making for existing clients and refferals. As advised by only doing 2 orders a week and thanks Jen, will mainly accept cakes that are profitable. Lynn, I have been working my tail off for peanuts.

I was making wedding cakes which are much more profitable, but I just couldn't do them because they were causing me to neglect my child, so I stopped and only make the small simple wedding cakes every now and again. Also do really get a kick out of making a child so happy with their birthday cakes.

I do bake and prepare beforehand, but the reason for starting so late is that I try to spend time with my toddler in the afternoons, and undertake my wife duties, so my husband does not feel out either. Essentially I am pleasing everyone else and not myself. I tend to suffer from insomnia, so working late is easier for me than others, but physically and emotionally exhausting.

I have been praying very hard, and everytime I do, more and more orders stream in. All in His time, will trust what He has planned for me. 

Did try find someone to mentor and train, but they all flaked on me. I am not the type of person to give up so easily, so I will continue to pray and know that God will send the right person to me at the right time.

In the meantime, I have slowed down drastically and also making quite a few figurines instead while I site with my husband watching movies, which is our favourite way of relaxing. 

Wendy

I would think for someone that had been making wedding cakes before would  know how to measure ingredients. If I am unsure in measurements, I use an online converter.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service