Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I'd like to get some opinions. When I bake, anything, cookies, muffins, banana bread, whatever, I'm  totally ANTI-Box mix. If Im going through the trouble to make someone a beautiful cake it just goes totally against my grain to use a box mix. I guess I think they can go to the store and buy it themselves (probably cheaper too) if I was just gonna mix up a box?! I feel like Im cheating somehow. Maybe its the way I was raised? Everything ~ dinner desserts whatever, made from scratch, even grown fresh when possible. I watched my grandma stretch dough across the dining room table while making the BEST APPLE STRUEDEL EVER!!! Maybe that's what it is??

But anyway, is this just my dying opinion? I was looking at some recipes and variations that start with (or at least include) a box mix, then other variables are added (so its only half-scratch). It seems so much easier than scratch-made...in fact maybe thats the problem, too easy? Don't get me wrong, I'm all about easy, but still have this nagging thought of "I'm cheating"..lol

Any other thoughts out there, or is it just me?

Thanks for sharing...maybe you can save me from myself. LOL

Views: 4618

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Denise, Please let us know when you get a chance to post. I must try it too! :)

Denise said:
:-) NO burden at all. I will post it later tongite when a get a few extra minutes. Fighting alligators today :-/

Theresa Happe said:
Hi Denise, sorry to burden you, but I'd love to try your recipe, and I'm sure others would, too. Would you mind posting it under Recipes? Thanks!

Denise said:
I am the same way! As a matter of fact, that is WHY my customers come to me and are willing to pay more for my cakes -vs- a cheaper cake at the Mega Mart.
Theresa- I actually have a recipe for making your own Cake Mix. It adds to the convenience without taking away from the bake it from scratch" choice.
I would love a copy of your "make own cake mix" recipe. I mostly love from scratch, but on occasion I use a box as a base. But always with lots of addins and adjustments. Never straight from the box. I have tried to figure a way i can packg. ,for me, in zippy bags basic cake mix parts to have on hand (like a cake mix) but just havent gotten it right!! I love baking, but decorating is definatly my favorite part! :D

Denise said:
I am the same way! As a matter of fact, that is WHY my customers come to me and are willing to pay more for my cakes -vs- a cheaper cake at the Mega Mart.
Theresa- I actually have a recipe for making your own Cake Mix. It adds to the convenience without taking away from the bake it from scratch" choice.
I am a die hard doctored mix girl. Fabulously moist, sturdy and delicious cakes. I have nothing against scratch cakes in any way. I just started with doctored mixes and never looked back. They taste just as good as scratch, if not better in some cases, IMHO.

Everybody finds what they like!

ShaZam
Well, I'm slowly being swayed - lol..I have a finale cake to do for my Wilton Cake Decorating Class next week so I think I might try the WASC with the mix. I don't think I can go ALL BOX, but using a box 'as an ingredient' as someone listed, or consider it 'doctoring it up', I think I can do. I'll let you know how it goes. THANKS EVERYONE!!

SugarEd Productions said:
I am a die hard doctored mix girl. Fabulously moist, sturdy and delicious cakes. I have nothing against scratch cakes in any way. I just started with doctored mixes and never looked back. They taste just as good as scratch, if not better in some cases, IMHO.

Everybody finds what they like!

ShaZam
I have watched this debate on many forums before (cakecentral, flickr, facebook, blogs ... the list goes on) and generally you need a box of popcorn to sit and observe while the debate heats up and the rift grows wider. I have to say, however, that Lynda Welch's response it the best I've yet seen! They applied the scientific method and researched it! Love it! love it! love it! Don't much like the outcome, but gotta love the methodology! That settles it!!

Linda Welch said:
I used to share your same heart-felt opinion. I struggled to find a good, moist white cake recipe. They were all too dry with an unappealing texture. Then our cake club did a side-by-side taste test. We blind tested all the top brands of box mixes, a generic store brand, and a good scratch recipe. Then we rated them according to taste, appearance, and texture. The Betty Crocker box mix won!!! This was much to the gall and surprise of many well known professionals including two Food Network Challenge winners. I use a recipe that combines the box mix, instant pudding, coffee creamer, and other ingredients and I get the best moist white cake ever. I can use it for sculpting and it bakes up beautifully without tunnels, cracks, high crowns or any of the other pitfalls that make us crazy. It also gives me enough batter to make thicker layers that torte well. So there you have it. The scratch cake came in 4th place! The worst one was the generic box mix. It was awful. There really is a difference between box mixes. The second best was Duncan Hines, followed by Pillsbury Moist Supreme. Hint: veg oil makes a moister cake than butter. So lay your guilt to rest and give your clients a great tasting, beautifully decorated cake!
Well, I have an announcement, tomorrow (Monday June 28th), I will be trying for the first time the WASC cake and i WILL USE A BOX MIX!! Partly because its a class cake we'll be eating, so I get to taste it too. Though I do like "fake cake" normally, cake is cake right?!?! Well....we'll see.......To be continued.....lol
I can't wait to hear your opinion of the cake. Don't tell the tasters and ask them to critically rate your new recipe. Then tell us how it all comes out. Happy baking! And congratulations for finishing your class. You go girl!

Jenifer said:
Well, I have an announcement, tomorrow (Monday June 28th), I will be trying for the first time the WASC cake and i WILL USE A BOX MIX!! Partly because its a class cake we'll be eating, so I get to taste it too. Though I do like "fake cake" normally, cake is cake right?!?! Well....we'll see.......To be continued.....lol
Welcome to the other side, Jenifer! lol!!

Jenifer said:
I have used both. I think to me really depends on the type of cake. I just made the other day a Pistachio
cake that is half scratch and then box. It was moist delicious and just perfect. So why fight it if it tastes
good?

Then for other recipes, like Puertorrican Rum cake, I wont do it if it's not scratch. So it really depends on what
I am doing. As long as the box is doctored and good I am fine. I don't like the cake from the box flavor. It's too
obvious.

And some cakes are just better from scratch, like red velvet carrot cake and apple cake..yummy
I agree completely. Many scratch recipes are far superior in taste, ingredients and texture. However, some like a plain white cake can be harder to achieve by scratch. My biggest challenge was finding a sturdy, moist, flavorful white cake and the box-plus solution was the best for me. However, I used a Butter Pecan mix, Butterscotch instant pudding, and vanilla caramel creamer for the cake and a cream chees and dark brown sugar icing to make an English Toffee cake to die for! I sprinkled toffee bits and mini sem-sweet chips between the layers with the icing and the result is incredible. It is fun to experiment with different combinations to find what works best for you. Let your imagination go and do some tasty research and development in the kitchen., Then let your friends and family critique it for you. Who knows what delishious recipe you will end up with? Enjoy experimenting and let us know what delights you discover!

Edna De la Cruz said:
I have used both. I think to me really depends on the type of cake. I just made the other day a Pistachio
cake that is half scratch and then box. It was moist delicious and just perfect. So why fight it if it tastes
good?

Then for other recipes, like Puertorrican Rum cake, I wont do it if it's not scratch. So it really depends on what
I am doing. As long as the box is doctored and good I am fine. I don't like the cake from the box flavor. It's too
obvious.

And some cakes are just better from scratch, like red velvet carrot cake and apple cake..yummy
toffee??????CARAMEL??????BUTTERSCOTCH???? CREAM CHEESE???????????YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Ok, so the WASC cake with box mix, outta the oven. Bizarre how weird I felt using a box mix?!?! Anyway....tastes pretty good. Im not sure what I expected. A lot FASTER and CHEAPER than scratch made. My go-to cake is the Vanilla Butter Cake on the Wilton website actually, and I've had people come up and tell me its the best tasting cake they've had in their whole life! wow! :) But I guess 1-1/2 lbs of butter will do that! LOL Paula Deen would be proud.
So really, I'm not sure I've even come to a verdict. But I might just keep on playing with it. Thanks for all your thoughts! Now comes the fun part - decorating!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service