Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Does anyone have a delicious recipie for a key lime cake from scratch they would like to share? All the ones I have seen on-line are from a box. Thanks for sharing

Views: 7944

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Michele that makes me feel just great, I knew I couldn't bake (said while snapping my fingers)---LOL........I'M JOKING, I PROMISE.....it does make me want to try it again, because it just amazing the color it was (did yours turn out white also????) My problem was in the crumb, it completely fell apart....I'm now wondering if the person that posted it, posted it incorrectly?????? I'll talk my sister into wanting another one for her birthday, haha (my hubby doesn't like key lime cake, just key lime pie, go figure).

AGAIN, I PROMISE I'M JOKING.

Tara

Michele Schmitz / Micky's Cakes said:
I tried the Paula Deen scratch key lime cake and it turned out really good. The first time at making it I had the bottled key lime juice and regular lime zest and it still turned out - everyone went crazy over it at my office. The 12" double layer cake only lasted a couple of hours and we only have 13 employees. The second time that I made it I doubled the recipe and I would not recommend doubling as it didn't turn out quite as good as the first time- it turned out but not the same moistness as the first.
I am sorry if I made you feel bad. Please don't feel bad as everyone one of us has had to throw out cakes. Come to think about the color yes it did turn white after baking, because it had a green tint before it was baked but white after it was baked. When you say it fell apart do you mean it was on the dry side? Because I am thinking that maybe your oven temperature is off. Have you had any problems with other cakes? I had to buy an oven thermometer to keep close watch on my oven temperature. Her is the recipe that I got off of recipe zarr.

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 tablespoons key lime zest
3 eggs
1/4 cup key lime juice, fresh
3 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
White Chocolate Frosting
6 (1 ounce) white chocolate baking squares

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions
1Preheat oven to 340. Grease and flour 3 (9 inch) cake pans.
2In large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and lime zest at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in juice until combined.
3In medium bowl, combine cake flour and baking soda; sift. Gradually add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
4Pour evenly into prepared pants, and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. Spread white chocolate frosting in between layers, and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with Key lime wedges, if desired.
5White Chocolate Frosting:.
6In medium bowl, combine chocolate an dcream. Microwave on high in 30 second intervals, stirring between each, until chocolate is melted and smooth (about 1-1/2 minutes total); let cool completely.
7In large bowl, combine white chocolate mixture, butter, and vanilla. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners sugar until fluffy.
Questions about this recipe?
Ask the chef
Ask the community
Spot an error in this recipe?
Submit a correction

Tara's Cakes said:
Thanks Michele that makes me feel just great, I knew I couldn't bake (said while snapping my fingers)---LOL........I'M JOKING, I PROMISE.....it does make me want to try it again, because it just amazing the color it was (did yours turn out white also????) My problem was in the crumb, it completely fell apart....I'm now wondering if the person that posted it, posted it incorrectly?????? I'll talk my sister into wanting another one for her birthday, haha (my hubby doesn't like key lime cake, just key lime pie, go figure).

Tara

I tried the Paula Deen scratch key lime cake and it turned out really good. The first time at making it I had the bottled key lime juice and regular lime zest and it still turned out - everyone went crazy over it at my office. The 12" double layer cake only lasted a couple of hours and we only have 13 employees. The second time that I made it I doubled the recipe and I would not recommend doubling as it didn't turn out quite as good as the first time- it turned out but not the same moistness as the first.
Plus the first time I made this cake I used 2 -10 or 12" pans for which made thin layers. Next time I will be using the 3-9" as it calls for.

I am sorry if I made you feel bad. Please don't feel bad as everyone one of us has had to throw out cakes. Come to think about the color yes it did turn white after baking, because it had a green tint before it was baked but white after it was baked. When you say it fell apart do you mean it was on the dry side? Because I am thinking that maybe your oven temperature is off. Have you had any problems with other cakes? I had to buy an oven thermometer to keep close watch on my oven temperature. Her is the recipe that I got off of recipe zarr.

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
White Chocolate Frosting

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions
2In large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and lime zest at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in juice until combined.
3In medium bowl, combine cake flour and baking soda; sift. Gradually add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
4Pour evenly into prepared pants, and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. Spread white chocolate frosting in between layers, and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with Key lime wedges, if desired.
6In medium bowl, combine chocolate an dcream. Microwave on high in 30 second intervals, stirring between each, until chocolate is melted and smooth (about 1-1/2 minutes total); let cool completely.
7In large bowl, combine white chocolate mixture, butter, and vanilla. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners sugar until fluffy.
Ask the chef
Ask the community
Submit a correction

Tara's Cakes said:

Tara

Thank-you for the recipe, will have to try :)

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
White Chocolate Frosting

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions
Ask the chef
Ask the community
Submit a correction

Tara's Cakes said:

Tara

Oh NO Michele, you didn't make me feel bad at all, I was playing around. I made the 3, 9in layers. if I remember correctly they looked like my red velvet cake does, thin & delicate, BUT in this case not moist at all. I haven't had any problems before, but this was last year & my oven was a new oven, so that could be the problem. That's the same recipe. Oh well, it could be as simple as I measured something wrong....LOL!!!! (My sister only calls 20 times when I'm baking for her, grrrrrrr---haha)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service