Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Originally Posted as a Blog on August 26, 2012

I went on a search for a recipe for a Pink Lemonade Cake. Found several....some recipes from doctored cake mixes.....some from scratch.  Made several as a trial run for the engagement cake I just made. Decided I liked the taste from "scratch"  the best. Was well received and eaten at the party...so I am guessing the recipe was a winner.

Here is the recipe I came up with. Give it a try. I hope you will like it

Ingredients:

2 cups/280 ml all purpose flour

2 tsp/10 ml baking powder

1 tsp/5 ml salt

1/4 cup/60 ml butter..... room temperature

1/4 cup/60 ml shortening

1/2 cup/125 ml vegatable oil

1 cup/250 ml sugar

1 pkg lemonade drink mix

grated zest of one lemon

juice of one lemon

3 eggs

1/2 cup sour cream....( this is optional, as this will make a dense pound cake )

IF NOT ADDING SOUR CREAM.....1/2 cup milk

Omitting the sour cream makes a lighter, less dense cake.

1/2 cup frozen pink lemonade, thawed

2-3 tsp red food colour.... also optional...creates  a pretty coloured cake batter/cake

Preheat your oven to 325 d

place your dry ingredients into a bowl, including  the drink mix. Set aside.

In a mixmaster cream your butter, shortening & sugar. Add your eggs one at a time and beat until fluffy.  Add lemon juice, zest & oil, beat until incorporated.  Add flour to your creamed mixture alternating with  your frozen, now thawed, pink lemonade and optional sour cream OR MILK.  Beat until all combined, then add your red food colouring if desired.

Pour batter into prepared pan. You can use a bundt pan if you want. I used a 10"x 3" pan,  bake for approx 50-55 min, or until cake tester comes out clean. Did mine on convection, so your oven may take longer as convection does speed up the baking  process by several minutes.

Allow to cool 10-20 min. Remove from pan and use icing or glaze of your choice.

:o)

Views: 761

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Gail...kool aid will work too. You'll love this cake Shirley every time I've made it, goes over well.
I've thought about using lime juice next time for a twist...

Ha-ha!  "twist"....lemon-lime twist!  Good one!  Seriously, I also am going to try this cake.  It sounds so good!  It is amazing that this blog is still getting so much attention, isn't it?  Just goes to show how good this must be.  :-)

June Kowalczyk said:

Thanks Gail...kool aid will work too. You'll love this cake Shirley every time I've made it, goes over well.
Guess so Veronica
Yes...thought combo of lemon/lime next time....or just all lime juice with lime zest.
Let me know how it turns out Shirley..

June Kowalczyk said:

I would love to try this recipe but live in nz and a few ingredients arent available. Is there an alternative to the pink lemonade thawed? Thanks for your help :)
Sure Tymanda
Use fresh lemon juice instead with approx 60 ml of sugar to replace the sweetness of the frozen concentrate. Adding food colouring if you wish to make it pink.

I've made this a couple of times using, as Gali suggested, two packages of Kool Aid in the cake and two more in the frosting, which makes it very lemony and tart.  We love it!  Great recipe!

I wish I knew what I was doing wrong with this recipe, I made it twice and both times it did not rise much at all or bake right, the first time I used milk, the second time I used sour cream. I'm wondering if I need to use baking soda? I used the lemonade drink mix (already has sugar in it), lemon juice from a lemon,  lemon zest and frozen pink lemonade. The first time my pink lemonade frozen concentrate was thawed, the second time I measured it and added it frozen, both times it did not rise or bake right.

I didn't suggest Kool Aid to Tymanda. Sandra, because this is a North American product. Wasn't sure if was available in NZ.
Wendy
I can't imagine what you are doing wrong. Perhaps your cake pan is not deep enough. Mine was 10" x 3". And what about your oven temperature? Perhaps it's not keeping the right temperature. Are you opening your oven while it's baking? That's the only thing I can think would allow cake to fall. You can't check the cake until 50 minute mark...and it can take up to 65 minutes to bake.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service