Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Question for anyone who displays their (from scratch) cupcakes for events like weddings etc.. How do you keep them from drying out?  Do you use oil instead of butter in your recipe?  I have tried brushing with simple syrup, it helps a little but, not enough. A friend told me she went to a wedding and the cupcakes were out all day were still moist the next day.  What is the trick I am missing???  Please help.....

Views: 888

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Maria!  This recipe looks delicious! Will definately try it:-)

Maria Gemini said:

Hi Cely! Try this recipe. This is a Super Moist chocolate Cupcake. I've made it before and it didn't dry even in 3 days.

1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil (I used vegetable oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup BOILING water

Preheat the oven to 350° and line a cupcake pan with 12 paper liners.

Sift together all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add the egg, milk, oil and vanilla and beat together with an electric mixer until combined.

Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the boiling water, mix until just combined but smooth.

The batter will be very watery looking, so don't be alarmed.  Pour the batter evenly into the paper liners.

Bake in preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean. Remove from oven and cool before frosting.

Thanks Debbie, I am going to try the sour cream.  I did take the advice of wrapping or covering the cupcakes while still warm and that really does help.

Debbie Wheaton said:

I agree with using sour cream . I also use a cake mix add cake flour and other ingredients makes a very moist cake or cupcakes. I have never tried putting them in the fridge hot but may try that.

I use a modified mix recipe.  I have my recipes posted on my blog on here.  Super simple and they get so many compliments.  If you can not find my blog go to my page and you can find it there.   I do not put them in the fridge but do use an air tight container.    Wish you all the best!

Celly said:

Hi Jeri!  I have not tried sour cream yet but, I will.  I use 3/4 cup of butter plus I have added 2 Tbls. of Oil (which did lighten the cakes crumb and help out some).  I also use 1 1/4 cups of milk.  Should I add a cup of sour cream in addition to butter, oil and milk or in place of any of them?  thanks so much for the advice.  I really do appreciate it.

Celly

I am going to try this recipe too (even though I don't have a problem with my cupcakes drying out.) :)

Maria Gemini said:

Hi Cely! Try this recipe. This is a Super Moist chocolate Cupcake. I've made it before and it didn't dry even in 3 days.

1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil (I used vegetable oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup BOILING water

Preheat the oven to 350° and line a cupcake pan with 12 paper liners.

Sift together all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add the egg, milk, oil and vanilla and beat together with an electric mixer until combined.

Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the boiling water, mix until just combined but smooth.

The batter will be very watery looking, so don't be alarmed.  Pour the batter evenly into the paper liners.

Bake in preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean. Remove from oven and cool before frosting.

I use the WASC recipe for my cakes and cupcakes and have had no problems with them drying out too soon.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service