Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Looking for a buttercream recipe that works well for making roses.

I have gone through the Wilton's cake classes and am having a problem with their buttercream recipe for making roses. The petals don't come out smooth, they are like frayed. Possibly I need to mix the buttercream longer? Someone also suggested that I am beating it mixing it too fast?

Any ideas or better recipe would be greatful.

Thanks

Views: 1656

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is the recipe I was giving by my wilton teacher. Makes a great crusting buttercream as well as great flowers. HTH :)

3/4 cup of hi ratio shortening
scant 1/2 cup warm water
2 lbs powder sugar
1-2 tsp clear flavoring
1-2 Tsp snow white base (I think this is what everyone else is calling bright white)

cream shortening and water slowly add in sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Add flavoring and SW base. Beat until no longer grainy (approx. 2-3 min).
See my response on the other Buttercream forum post...it has my full recipe - this is a non crusting buttercream but it makes marvelous flowers, and tastes amazing!
There could be several reasons for frayed edges on buttercream roses..
Icing too stiff(thin with clear corn syrup or even piping gel...not too much at a time)

Turning the nail faster than the petals are being piped(try turning the nail slower or piping the petals fast enough to keep up with the rate the nail is being turned)

Beating the icing too fast(try slowing down the mixer to no higher than 4 on a KA...use the paddle and mix it for a longer time)

Things I do
I mix for a looooooong time (like 20 to 30 minutes total...I do other stuff while it's mixing...periodically scraping down the bowl)...It pours into my bucket like buttermilk waffle batter and it's warm from the excessive mixing

I never (unless I get extra/last minute orders and run out) use it the same day it's made. By the next day, it has firmed up and the graininess is gone (because of it reaching an almost liquid state and the warmth). When needed, give it a good stirring 'cause there will be air bubbles (air bubbles, to some degree, are going to happen when icing sits)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service