Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hi all!  I want to make a topsy turvy cake... but honestly I have no clue where to start!!!  Do I need special pans??? Is there anything I NEED to know? Is there anywhere I can see how they are made?  I think these cakes are so cool, and really want to make one for halloween....  any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks...

Views: 407

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is a really great tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHY_F53ClJ8
Hi Gloria,

If you check under videos, its there. I have had help from Karen which gave me some ideas.

Anne
LOL I Just sent you a link to a youtube video

Anne M said:
Hi Gloria,

If you check under videos, its there. I have had help from Karen which gave me some ideas.

Anne
If you want to invest in a good DVD on TT cakes, Sharon Zambito has a great one. It is very informative!
I have watched the youtube video about 5 times and I am planning to attempt a topsy turvy cake for my husband's birthday this weekend! If it comes out well I will post pics ...otherwise look for it on cakewrecks.com!
Me too!!! I was asked to donate some cakes and cupcakes for a cancer benefit this weekend, and I was thinking of making one for their raffle. I'll post pics as soon as its done! Good luck!!!

Jennifer Cintron said:
I have watched the youtube video about 5 times and I am planning to attempt a topsy turvy cake for my husband's birthday this weekend! If it comes out well I will post pics ...otherwise look for it on cakewrecks.com!
Well Gloria, I dont know if you made your topsy-turvy yet, but I did it last weekend and it is the ugliest cake I've ever made!! lol ... BUT it was a learning experience. I understand the construction and that's got to be at least half the battle! It also drove home the lesson that I NEED to have a well thought-out design before starting a cake ... I kept changing my mind about what I wanted to do and in the end it became a mish-mosh of things I wanted to try (e.g. fondant braid border, painting on fondant, crafting fondant figurines, etc.). I think it would have been better if I'd had more time but it was for my husband so I couldn't really get started on it until he went to bed, and by 4am I was too pooped to care anymore! Post pics of your cake if you can, I would love to see it!

Karen and Jeri - do you think a topsy-turvy can be done in buttercream and leave off the fondant? It seems like there's too much "handling" going on but I wonder what you think?
Jennifer, a TT can certainly be done in BC. I did one a while back. You will have to fix some dents once you stack the tiers but wasn't too bad for me.

Jennifer Cintron said:
Well Gloria, I dont know if you made your topsy-turvy yet, but I did it last weekend and it is the ugliest cake I've ever made!! lol ... BUT it was a learning experience. I understand the construction and that's got to be at least half the battle! It also drove home the lesson that I NEED to have a well thought-out design before starting a cake ... I kept changing my mind about what I wanted to do and in the end it became a mish-mosh of things I wanted to try (e.g. fondant braid border, painting on fondant, crafting fondant figurines, etc.). I think it would have been better if I'd had more time but it was for my husband so I couldn't really get started on it until he went to bed, and by 4am I was too pooped to care anymore! Post pics of your cake if you can, I would love to see it!

Karen and Jeri - do you think a topsy-turvy can be done in buttercream and leave off the fondant? It seems like there's too much "handling" going on but I wonder what you think?
Jen I'm attempting it tonight... cross your fingers and I'll post pics when it's done!

:o) Gloria

Deah said:
Jennifer, a TT can certainly be done in BC. I did one a while back. You will have to fix some dents once you stack the tiers but wasn't too bad for me.

Jennifer Cintron said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service