Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I had an upsetting experience with a cake client this morning and thought where better to talk about it than with fellow cake people, lol. I had a last minute order from a coworkers daughter this past Wednesday night due this Saturday morning. I, being a glutton for punishment, agreed to do them. She wanted 2 cakes. One football cake, decorated with frosting for a smash cake for her son and one spongebob cake for her daughter. I was given creative freedom with the spongebob. She didnt care if it was fondant or frosting. Whatever I wanted to do and just let her know how much when she got them. No problem. I did fondant and made the characters with the exception of Spongebob because he was the candle. Even airbrushed it. When it came time for pickup/delivery she was complaining of the price and wanted a breakdown of each cake. She had ordered custom cakes before that weren't as much as mine. Its bothered me all day. I worked till 3 am to finish this cake, on top of working my regular job and taking care of my 3 year old son only to be given a hard time when it was done. She sent her Mother to pick them up and I thought I wouldve heard something from her saying how much she liked the cake or even a thank you like most people do and I haven't heard a thing. Its so discouraging to not have your work be appreciated. If people only knew how much goes into their cakes. Just needed to share with my cake people. :)

Views: 2173

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a situation 2 yrs ago that changed my whole attitude. My sis-in-law's employer's son requested wedding cucpcakes, and a small cake for cutting. I made a mock up from styrofoam of the cake, and a sample of the cupcake. There are 2 cupcake shops here, so I priced them out. I charged them 25 cents less. Two weeks, yes TWO WEEKS, before the wedding, I called to firm things up, and my sis-in-law says, " Your not making the cupcakes, the brides mother is", didn't David ( the groom ) call you?? Thank goodness I had not bought my supplies. I had not asked for any $$ up front as the groom's mother I knew, and was a friend & employer to my sis-in-law. I am still waiting for a apology. Ever since, I have no trouble asking for money up front. Or explaining my "expensive" prices????? If I feel it will be a big job, I actually print out a contracr on my computer and have the client sign. Then there is no room for error, no quibbling later about price, design, colour etc. Funny, before the job I just retired from, I ran a very busy dental practice. I had no problem securing payment up front for certain procedures. If the patient arrived and "forgot" their cheque book, or did not go to the bank, I had no trouble telling them their appt. was cancelled.  They knew te situation, it had been explained, and they had signed a promisary note.  Our craft/art provides a service, no we are not dentists/mechanics or the like, but we do use physical & mental labour, pay for supplies, and we deserve to be proud of what we do and get paid accordingly.

We learn from our mistakes, and in this case, it made me stronger, and wiser.

Our services are so specialized and we have to buy special equipment, cutters, molds, tools, etc. And besides all the equipment we buy, in order to stay competitive, especially with what clients see on TV with extreme cakes being made in a hour long television show, we need to constantly be learning new techniques. WE ARE PROFESSIONALS!! And if we are confident in what we create it will show to the client.

If a client has a problem with my practice for payment, I tell them when you make a contract, require deposits, and payment before final product, we are doing what every business does in America. A contractor will not build your house or do a remodel without a down payment and a contract, a attorney requires a retainer before he takes on your case, your doctor's office requires your insurance card and your co-pay to be paid before he will see you. If we all follow these practices people will begin to treat us as the professionals we are!
Amen to that sister. You said it all. When you respect what you do, you have no problem asking to get paid what you deserve.

JJ Becker said:
I frequently black-list difficult customers and refuse to take their orders again. People don't seem to get that this isn't a "Customer is always right" kind of business. For one thing, lets be real, it's cake and icing people! How perfect do they expect it to be. For another, most weekends I have to turn business away, why should I take an order from a customer who I know is difficult instead of one from a loyal customer or even a new customer? Really, people seem to forget that there is an obligation on the part of the customer as well.
AMEN! Totally agree and appreciate your postings. Especially the first one where you broke down pricing. I've been having a hard time deciding on how to price the decorations.
You tell em! I'm a hobby baker and am about to get a bakeshop and people just assume that I do it for fun. Which it is, but it is also my business.

June Kowalczyk said:

Agree with all that has been said.  Especially educating the customer,  giving details like diana nishimoto mentioned. Then there are no surprises, and the customer knows how much work and product go into the cakes. 

It really does save heartache and aggrevation.  The more details, the more understanding of cost is realized. 

I  had one person tell me they could "do it themselves" for that price, which I replied, be my guest. If they call back, (they did ), I am instantly busy. Keeping a   Blacklist is also a good idea??  I have a few I would never do a cake for again. I am strictly a hobby baker, which sometimes I think is worse.  Because it is my hobby people assume, you do it "just for fun".   Ah, nope, it works like this, I make your cake....you pay me.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and advice. I feel a lot better. This was the first time I have not given a price before baking and will never do that again. The woman's mother came into work tonight and told me that they loved the cake and couldn't stop saying how good it was. I just smuggly smiled and said I was glad they liked it. Never again. I'm blacklisting. lol
Blacklist....Blacklist.....ya... Do it!!!
I demand payment in advance on all cakes, not just wedding cakes... even from friends.

THAT HAPPEN TO ME YESTERDAY THEY WANTED A  JOHN DEERE TRUCK FOR 50.00 A COSTUM MADE CAKE FOR 50.00 ARE  KIDDING?

June Kowalczyk said:
Amen to that sister. You said it all. When you respect what you do, you have no problem asking to get paid what you deserve.

Hi all!  I'm a newbie here.  I also do this as a hobby, but would love to have my own place.  Ahhhh, some day!  Anyway, just wanted to say I'm getting some excellent advice and ideas here!  Thanks so much!

I have had this issue with someone as well, the next time I had the comment" dont' worry about quote" from a customer, I found a solution. Before I started on it I called the customer and told Her "" Pam, I hate to call but I just wanted to give you a heads up. We have 2 choices with your cake, If we go with fondant it will be $xx.xx if we go with frosting, it will be $xx.xx. Which would you prefer?" at that point it makes them aware and gives them a chance to reduce the cost if they weren't looking to spend that amount. Then it makes them less likely to feel blindsided by price. Most customers have no idea how much time goes into our creations of art. I also have a spot on my quote form that says OFFICE USE ONLY: ______ hours baking ________ hours decorating. This at least comforts them that they realize the time put in on their cake.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service