Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

These ruffles are made by hand by pouring 1/2 cup tempered warm chocolate across the top of a frozen gumpaste cel board, spread down the board with a chocolate scraper or bench scraper. Spread once or twice until the chocolate begins to lose it's shine. Immediately cut the sides, top and bottom with the blade of the scraper to make a nicely even rectangle. Slide the blade of the scraper underneath the bottom end of the chocolate and scoop it up off the board. from bottom to top. Using both hands pleat the rectangle from side to side from the narrow side, fold it into a U shape so the ruffled ends meet evenly at the top. Pinch the bottom to make the ruffle fan out. Place on your prepared cake with the ruffled edge extending over the edge of the cake just a bit. Go all the way around the cake top with the first row, each row after that sets back just a bit from the previous one. Push the back of the ruffle down gently into the iced cake so it stands up a bit. By the time you get to the center the ruffles should be standing straight up. You can get about 3 nice ruffles done before the board becomes too warm, you need to have two boards frozen so you can switch as one becomes too warm. I scrape off the excess chocolate from the board each time I make a new ruffle and use those scrapings to sprinkle over the top of the cake as you go along. It helps fill the cake top so there are no gaps between the ruffles and it also saves having to make so many ruffles to cover the entire top.

One tip, even with tempered chocolate I add 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil to each pound of melted chocolate to give it pliablity when making ruffles. You could use melted and cooled cocoa butter or Paramount Crystals in place of the vegetable oil, but the oil is less expensive and usually something I have on hand. I have never tried doing these with Candy Melts and am not sure they would work.

Views: 3272

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you could add pictures of all of the steps that you so well put into words, that would be of great help to follow.  I'm a visual person.

Sincerely,

Sher

As I mentioned in the last post to you, I live alone and when working with chocolate you can't take the time to stop and take photos. The chocolate setes up too fast. John Costello has a chocolate DVD available on his website, lots of techniques aside from the ruffles. I think you might really enjoy it. Thanks.

I have found a YouTube Video that shows exactly how these ruffles are done. Now I am not talking about the strips of chocolate she is wrapping around the sides of the cake. But after she gets the cake wrapped she makes hand pleated chocolate ruffles. Watched how she holds the strip in her hands and pleats it into a ruffle and places it on the cake. Hope this helps you visualize how it is done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhRjOt1cHhc

Thanks, and I hope you were able to see my fun cakes and things too.  Check your friend requests, please.  I'm there for your approval.

Sher

Shirley Wilson said:

I have found a YouTube Video that shows exactly how these ruffles are done. Now I am not talking about the strips of chocolate she is wrapping around the sides of the cake. But after she gets the cake wrapped she makes hand pleated chocolate ruffles. Watched how she holds the strip in her hands and pleats it into a ruffle and places it on the cake. Hope this helps you visualize how it is done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhRjOt1cHhc

Wow! This is really cool, Shirley. Plus, you have given great instructions on how to do it.

Hi Sher

I did receive your request and accepted it. I will check out your photos later today.

Thanks, Shirley

Thanks Linda. I love doing these cakes because they not only look really pretty but the whole house smells delicious when you are working with chocolate. Messy, but delicious.

Linda Wolff said:

Wow! This is really cool, Shirley. Plus, you have given great instructions on how to do it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Theresa Happe.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video