Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I've tried many recipes over the years but always come back to this one Its always consistent never dry and makes a really good base for christmas or wedding cakes marzipanned and can be iced with fondant or royal icing. It keeps for ages and is definitely better made at least 2 months in advance then wrapped in greaseproof paper and foil.

This recipe will make a decent sized 9" square or 10" round but if you need a different size mail me because it doesn't work if you doulble or halve the recipe.

currants 775g

sultanas 375g

raisins 375g

glace cherries 250g

flaked almonds 150g

1/2 lemon zest

plain flour 600g

mixed spice 1 tsp

cinnamon 1tsp

butter 500g

soft dark brown sugar 500g

beaten eggs 9

brandy

baking time 4 1/2 hours at gas mark 2 150c or 300f

dump all the fruit nuts and lemon zest in a big bowl with a good glug of brundy while you make the cake (no need to soak overnight)

sift flour and spices.

put butter and sugar into bowl and cream well until light and fluffy, add beaten egg a little at a time beating well after each addition add a tiny bit of flour each time to prevent curdling. gradually fold in the remaining flour lightly before dumping this mixture on top of the fruit and fold in really well. spoon the mixture into a deep tin prepared with a double layer of greaseproof paper and make a slight depression in the top of the mixture. wrap the tin in 2 layers of ordinary brown paper and stand on a baking try also with 2 layers of brown paper bake in the centre of the oven and about half way through cooking cover with a large sheet of thick card with a hole cut in the centre to stop the top overbrowning. continue cooking till a knife inserted comes out clean (this can take a bit longer than stated depending on your oven and the fruit) when cooked remove from the oven and drizzle with another 2 or 3 tablespoons of brandy while still hot. allow to cool completely before removing from the tin then ease the cake out (dont remove the greaseproof lining paper) wrap in another layer of greaseproof and then double wrap in foil. Now each week unwrap and drizzle with more brandy before re-wrapping. day before covering with marzipan unwran and remove liner turn cake upside down and drizzle with brandy one more time re- wrap. to marzipan brush on hot sieved apricot jam and marzipan, leave for 48 hours to firm and then ice with either royal icing or fondant. (if using fondant brush the marzipan with either vodke or gin).

try it i'm sure you will love this cake!!!!

Views: 2211

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What a shame you were disappointed with the height Sandy.  3" is about the right height for this recipe if I remember from when I made it.  6" is very high - perhaps you could try doubling the recipe next time and obviously adjusting the baking time.

Sandy said:

I made one last night, looks and smells wonderful but is only 3" high I was so disappointed. The last fruit cake I made was years ago, and it was about 6" high. That was my mothers recipe, dark and moist. I so wish she was still here.
Thank you Katy, I made another one and followed the recipe, from the link you gave me. I am happy with this one it is approximately 4" high. Hopefully it will not be dry. If I find the recipe that my mother use to bake I will post it, as it is one of the moistest cakes I have ever make and tastes Devine.

Glad things are working out Sandy.  It really shouldn't be dry, if you followed Les' recipe.  I found it delicious and moist.  I have another recipe that I use for a quicker cake in an 8" round and it is really, really good.  I'll dig it out and let you have it.  In fact, I made one yesterday and we had a slice last night - yummy.  It's not as rich as Les' so more suitable for an everyday cake.

Sandy said:

Thank you Katy, I made another one and followed the recipe, from the link you gave me. I am happy with this one it is approximately 4" high. Hopefully it will not be dry. If I find the recipe that my mother use to bake I will post it, as it is one of the moistest cakes I have ever make and tastes Devine.
Thank you so much Les, I made this for my husbands 50th Birthday party and it was absolutely delicious. Thank you Sandy
My first attempt of decorating a cake
Attachments:
Also my Auntys Birthday Cake. I made all the flowers out of gum paste. Thank you Les.
Attachments:

Well done on your cakes Sandra - flowers are lovely.  It's a great recipe alright!
Sandra Hunt said:

Also my Auntys Birthday Cake. I made all the flowers out of gum paste. Thank you Les.
Wow Sandra
You should post these cakes on your page. Both well done. Your flowers are beautiful. :o)

I am going to try this one I love fruit cake , but I think I am the only one since my dad past ! thank you ; )

Go for it Gail - you won't regret it.  I'm going to get mine on the go in the next few days.  Get it good and soaked for Christmas.  (Once I've got these stupid Halloween cupcakes out of the way lol!)
art deco cakes by galidink said:

I am going to try this one I love fruit cake , but I think I am the only one since my dad past ! thank you ; )

THANKS Katy , it will be my first ; )

Thank you June I was so pleased they both turned out well my first attempt on decorating. It was a lot of fun.

June Kowalczyk said:
Wow Sandra
You should post these cakes on your page. Both well done. Your flowers are beautiful. :o)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service