Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

There is a local bake off competiton in Bangor NI, and thinking of entering, basically the theme is Sea Bangor, and basically it’s a weekend event of maritime, involving ships, street entertainment, baking, crafts, magic show and music, and want to try and incorporate that, my first instincts are a ship with lots of things happening on the ship to reflect the event or should I focus one thing in particular? The cake will not be ate so don’t want to focus too much on the actual cake, I can make a dummy cake but that might be hard if I am doing an actual ship?

Any advice?

Thanks all xx

Views: 201

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the ship is the perfect choice, Lynette, but it sounds like you have a lot of choices for a focal point.  Personally, I would choose my major focal point - the ship - and add the other components on the ship or elsewhere on the cake board.  If you want to make a ship and you do not want to carve styrofoam (which is awful, let me tell you!), use Rice Krispy Treats.  Use the recipe on the Kraft marshmallows or RK box, but leave out the butter.  You may need some structural supports, depending upon how big the ship will be.  Works great.  Hope this helps a little.

i have never made a cake using rice krispies? any tutorials?

It isn't cake at all, Lynette, just Rice Krispies, melted marshmallows and butter (without the butter for sculpting instead of eating)  It can be formed into the shape needed then covered with fondant and finished.  A lot of "carved" sculptures are RCTs instead of cake.  If you need real cake, the ship could be sailing on a sea made from a sheet cake.  The cat I posted a few days ago is made of RCTs covered in fondant.  Easy to work with.



lynette conlon said:

i have never made a cake using rice krispies? any tutorials?

Here is a great tutorial for using RCTs for sculpting.

https://us.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=iry&hsimp=yhs-ful...

Sandra Smiley said:

It isn't cake at all, Lynette, just Rice Krispies, melted marshmallows and butter (without the butter for sculpting instead of eating)  It can be formed into the shape needed then covered with fondant and finished.  A lot of "carved" sculptures are RCTs instead of cake.  If you need real cake, the ship could be sailing on a sea made from a sheet cake.  The cat I posted a few days ago is made of RCTs covered in fondant.  Easy to work with.



lynette conlon said:

i have never made a cake using rice krispies? any tutorials?



Sandra Smiley said:

Here is a great tutorial for using RCTs for sculpting.

https://us.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=iry&hsimp=yhs-ful...

Sandra Smiley said:

It isn't cake at all, Lynette, just Rice Krispies, melted marshmallows and butter (without the butter for sculpting instead of eating)  It can be formed into the shape needed then covered with fondant and finished.  A lot of "carved" sculptures are RCTs instead of cake.  If you need real cake, the ship could be sailing on a sea made from a sheet cake.  The cat I posted a few days ago is made of RCTs covered in fondant.  Easy to work with.



lynette conlon said:

i have never made a cake using rice krispies? any tutorials?

This is the RCTs cat, Lynette.

oh wow that is fantastic! how did you get those colours and the eyes, its so real looking!!

Thanks, Lynette!  It is colored with gel colors, petal dusts and artist's soft pastels, which is approved for use on edibles. The eyes are made of fondant...big yellow circle tinted with brown and green gel color, black oval for pupil, tiny white dots for highlights. 

This is a life size cat, so I have PVC bolted to the base, angled all the way up through the top of the head. The rice cereal was formed around the pipe into the general shape of the cat and covered with a 50/50 mixture of fondant and white chocolate.  The body of this turkey was done the same way...

once again this a total masterpiece!! i take you are pro at this, did you have to take a class to do this? i would love to be able to do that!

You are so sweet, Lynette!  No, not a pro.  These are the only two RCT pieces I've ever done and the only other modeling/sculpting I've done is the Scarlet Macaws (which were modeling chocolate and gum paste) and The Beatles which were on Mike's bd cake.  They are gum paste.  I was a Fine Arts major in college, but I've never done any sculpting before, only painting.  I am discovering what I have been missing all of these years.

lynette conlon said:

once again this a total masterpiece!! i take you are pro at this, did you have to take a class to do this? i would love to be able to do that!

i have never tried this .  

I am actually in two minds the cakes will not be ate so i dont want to be wasting my time making rice krispie and moulding when it wont be ate, so i was thinking i could use dummy cake, but thought that in order so i can try to compete the competition should reflect the festival, i think if i was to do a ship its hard to incorporate everything into it. the festival includes magic show, cookery demos, street theatre, food stalls, funfair and jets fly demos, as well as the Morgenster Tall ship, there is so much to consider i am confused what to do. the theme on the application is Sea Bangor all things Maritime?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Offline

Live Video